Sunday, April 26, 2020

The Pocahontas Challenge...

I'm sitting here wondering if I'll ever see Mird again, wondering when we'll be able to just go for a run and get a cup of coffee afterwards and DRINK it while sitting at Starbucks.  And I'm thinking about how much this whole situation totally sucks.  Seriously, I'm ready to throw caution to the wind, break the law, and drive recklessly (or carefully whatever it takes) to the middle of the mitten to hang out with Mird and the rest of my GC friends...I'm ready to let Herd Immunity Rule.
But I'm married to a rule following, strictly law abiding, doesn't acknowledge any gray areas, Health Department worker who says HELL NO. So I'm stuck here dreaming about the moment when I can hug my sister again....I'm sure all of you can relate to this feeling of sadness and a deep aching for the ones you love. And I'm trying, really trying, to enjoy this time with my family, but it's getting harder each day.  Patience is running thin these days, tempers are flared, sleep schedules are interrupted and honestly we all just need some time away from each other to RELAX and not be together....

Right now, everyday is the same and most days I don't even know which day it is. Despite countless failed attempts on my part, we have no real schedule.  We just take things as they come.  The struggle is real.  I'm trying really hard to make these days special for my family because I do realize these days together are a gift from God, I know he plans for good to come from this, but at this point in the stay at home order, my kids are SICK of hanging out with me and I'm struggling to come up with new entertaining ideas for them. Even if I had a good idea, I'm pretty sure none of my family would acknowledge it because it seems like everyone who lives in this house hates me and all of my STUPID ideas.  And I realize this is just the social isolation lying to me, that combined with the hormones of a middle aged woman who is experiencing PMS, but still it feels pretty awful....anyhow, enough of my pity party now let's get to the GOOD STUFF! 

Yes the good stuff...Last weekend my mind was filled with similar, not so positive, thoughts so I started brainstorming ideas to get me out of my rut. Nothing was off limits. I thought of a crazy idea Saturday, but quickly dismissed it as too crazy even for me. Then thanks to the encouragement of a few close friends, I decided to go for it after all! So this past Monday, Patriot's Day, I went ahead and implemented the crazy plan.  I ran a marathon. Without any training or planning. Without any aid stations, finish time, or medal and without so much as a banana for the after party I ran 26.2 miles.  And I don't care what anyone says, sometimes crazy is good!  Sometimes CRAZY is just what you need to get back on track.  It was the best week of shelter in place I've had.  Along the way I delivered home baked bread to neighbors, experienced much philosophical discovery and had a jolly good time!

Mile 20ish of the Pocahontas Marathon!

One of the many hills along the way...


In fact Monday went so well and Tuesday I felt so amazing that I decided to implement another crazy idea.  I have affectionately named this crazy idea the Pocahontas Challenge which was modeled after the Dopey Challenge which is held annually at Disney every January whereby its participants run a 5K Thursday, 10k Friday, Half Marathon Saturday and a Full Marathon on Sunday.  The Pocahontas Challenge had the same distances in reverse and with Tuesday as a recovery day because honestly I didn't think of this idea until late in the day Tuedsday so I didn't have time to pull off a half marathon that day...

So Wednesday was Earth Day and Half Marathon Day and I was all kinds of excited!!! I mean I was Really fired up.  I ran the first 7.1 in the morning hours on the Brainy Day Trail and the second half at record speed in the afternoon with a buddy of mine!  Seriously it was fast.  It was spectacular and my next project was this Queen Style Earth Day Yes, I felt so good I even pulled off my annual Earth Day tribute song in epic fashion.

Thursday I woke up focused, determined and ready to take on the 10K. I did have a toenail that was somewhat troublesome and oozing nastiness so I bandaged it up and hit the trails.  I ran it with three friends, while social distancing of course, and we ran hills, Hills, HILLS!  It was miraculous that my body held up for it. It inspired me to try to make Friday's final event the 5K a little more special so I went on a side mission and found a native american costume to run in for Friday.  It was a hit!  I ran the Pocahontas 5K on the Brainy Day Trail Friday morning. Check it out!


The goal with this Pocahontas gig was to spice things up a bit for myself because quite honestly I felt like I was smothering and couldn't breath and a bit depressed. With a lack of anything to anticipate, or any excitement to feed my adventurous soul, I was struggling. For adventurous, extroverted people this quarantine is true agony.  I actually think Jeff is mostly okay with this situation because he is introverted and doesn't really like change.  This is kind of perfect for him. He has a reason to stay home all the time!  I do realize it is challenging for him too.  He has to put up with all of us moving his stuff, being loud and making messes, but I do honestly think it's easier for him!

Now remember the Monday that starting this whole thing was Patriot's Day and I was grieving the loss of my tradition of running a few miles and then drinking mimosas while watching the Boston Marathon with the Grand Haven Run Club.  So I dedicate the Pocohontas Challenge to all those who qualified and are supposed to be celebrating a Boston Finish this weekend!  You inspired me to chase my crazy dreams!  You'll get to it in the fall at Boston!

Mird I'll see you May 16th
Boston Strong
Vern Out

No comments:

Post a Comment