Monday, August 31, 2020

Forget about that bass...It's all about that food!

Let's be honest, running kind of is all about the food.  I can admit a big part of why I love running so much is because it provides me freedom to eat as I like and not worry too much about my weight. Before I fell in love with running I struggled with weight management. Running truly is liberating! I'm sure many runners share the sentiment. Well this most recent adventure included a lot of scrumptious food so this race truly was, "all about that food, 'bout that food...".

Powered by nothing more than our traditional expired granola bar, pre-race, breakfast (ask us about this tradition next time you see us. it's too complicated to explain here), us Sisters ran swiftly (or choose an adjective like Mad Libs, but I like swiftly!) through the woods for 13.1 miles! It 'twas awesomesauce! 

The sign pointing us to race camp also known as "Happyville" that's like almost as good as margaritaville, only lacking tequila, but hey you can't get everything you want! Then you'd be a spoiled brat! Welcome to Happyville everyone!  Let's run North Country Trail!!!

Camp Happyville!

Pre-race walk about-- we checked out every corner of Happyville and it was very... happy!
Not only was there a delicious pre-race dinner, there was also a .8  mile walk about and an impressive bonfire!  We had a jolly time wandering through the woods checking out Happyville in detail. The pre-race dinner was completely FREE, lacked any expired food, and included fresh brats that were ahhhmazing and Mellema Farms sweet corn that was equally, or possibly more ahhhmazing depending on who you ask.  I personally don't care for sweet corn. Go ahead and tease me, I'm used to it!
Cheers to North Country Trail and Happyville!  Everyone say fuzzy pickles for Granny Groove!

Pre-run group shot! The entire gang.

It was actually better than a regular race day when we arrived at the trail head for North Country Trail Run. I say better than a regular race day because we could park front and center no need to hike a mile in to get there and there wasn't a line for the bathroom at least not until we got there!  We had legit race packets thanks to Anah and Don who generously created them complete with event t-shirts, treats, and coupons!  The race itself was interesting in an awesome way.  Interesting to have the trails mostly to ourselves. Interesting that I sang the first stanza of the National Anthem for the occasion to send us off on a happy, albeit off tune, note. And interesting because my right calf muscle had been bothering me the past couple of weeks so I came into the run without having run more than 4 miles in a few weeks and uncertain if I'd be able to finish the standard 13.1 miles required for a half marathon event.  After my totally awesome abbreviated singing of the National Anthem, we hit the trail in a herd of 10 super incredible human beings who were, in the words of Steve Harden, "all jacked up" about the trail running adventure we were about to share!  As you may recall, on Riverbank Run day a few of us headed to GR to run the course even though the RBR event was Covid cancelled.  This weekend we did a repeat only we completed the North Country Trail Half Marathon run a wildly fun trail run that historically is the only trail run in Michigan that could possibly compete with Brainy Day as my favorite.  We took it easy, goofed off, studied the maps carefully and took a lot of pictures along the way. It was kinda nice to not be in any sort of hurry.  We were able to enjoy the run and the beautiful view at the lookout--except some of us didn't!! Oh best of all, magically my calf felt fine the entire way!  A few of our herd missed a turn and didn't get to see the view and while I tried to send them back out to see it because it is truly breathtaking and should never be missed during NCT, they politely declined.  Actually, they said, "Hell no!" but whatever.  


Special thanks to Anah, Don and The Factory Bar in Muskegon for sponsoring our race packets this year!  They were incredible, generous and the perfect touch to a perfect event.


That was it. We ran. We Frolicked. We took a bunch of pictures and ate a bunch of snacks (see it really was all about that food!). And we enjoyed the experience and some yummy food and of course a cold corona at the finish line! It is the official drink of 2020 after all! I think we were all giddy in this finish line photo!

Vern Out

PS in recent news my calf was fine Saturday and Sunday morning for my walk through our woods and then I tried to make it from second to third at Grandma Lulu's backyard softball game and it popped and hurt like hell. I am currently waiting to hear back from an orthopedic doctor to see if there's a serious problem so prayers are appreciated...
  
Ok now I'm really done!



  

No comments:

Post a Comment