Sunday, October 15, 2023

Lucky number 5

 This time when me and my traveling running shoes headed out the door, we didn't have far to travel--just to Grand Rapids. Unfortunately, Mird had to work today so she was not in on this adventure and fortunately Teresa talked me into running GR marathon "with her" (more on that later) so I didn't have to go solo.  Now that I've had an afternoon to reflect on the marathon experience, I have a positive view on the entire thing.  Here's how it all went down...

First of all, if the early morning pre-race experience had been an indicator of the race that was to follow, I would have believed I was going to PR by several minutes and been drinking a beer before noon.  Yes, despite leaving a few minutes behind our planned time to head to the race and apparently me driving like a granny because it took me a damn long time to get there, we arrived with plenty of time. We actually scored a free parking spot not far from the starting line and right in front of Clarity Realty and the Bridge Street Market and Teresa was super smart and said I bet there's no line for the bathroom at the market.  And you know what?  She was 100 percent correct so in a matter of minutes we had used the bathroom, changed our minds about our wardrobes and returned to the car for a few minor alterations and headed to bag check.  The bag check line was extremely long and Teresa still didn't have her running shoes on so I told her to hustle up and to prepare to ditch our bags if needed.  Surprisingly the bag line moved very quickly (like faster than I ran the marathon!) so while we listened to the distant National Anthem playing, we made it in time to ditch the bags with an actual volunteer and we jogged off toward the starting line.  Along the way, our luck continued and we found an "off the beaten path" porta john with no line so we did a final bathroom break and arrived at the start in time to learn we would be in the Will Ferrell Crew!  I made a joke about Old School, the pacers welcomed us to their squad, and we decided this was yet another sign of the amazing race to come...




Foolishly when the race started, we took off at a suicide rate (at least it was foolish for me. It worked out ok for Teresa so I guess it was just a good pace for her). I felt fine initially so I didn't know I was going too fast other than I was well in front of our pace group for at least 15 miles of the race.  I just thought I was being extra awesome!  Then near mile 20 I nearly died. At least it felt like what I imagine dying might feel. I felt nauseous, was sweating a lot, was lightheaded and in the words of Gary, "I felt like hot garbage".  For a short time, I just kept running as best as I could.  Like I actually wasn't sure I'd finish if things continued to deteriorate, but I was going to try my best to get there.  One thing I take pride in is that I have never not finished a race (yes I realize this is a double negative but in this instance it works).  About this time or around mile 22 ,I am not sure exactly when because I was busy almost dying, my guardian angel, Happy Mary, showed up and casually asked how things were going. Shitty. Things were going shitty, but I found myself being honest, but surprisingly not swearing. If ever there were a time for the F bomb this was it and instead I found myself saying, "Not very well".  She immediately started working to revive me and drag me to the finish. It was touch and go and there were several walking sessions mixed in with our ugly running bits, but we did it!  Not the sub 4 race I had hoped for, but 4:11:25 is respectable and way faster than my first marathon when I was much younger so there are definite positives to today's race.  

I was so cold after the race that I found myself wrapped in a foil blanket and wearing a pair of pants from the lost and found table while Teresa and Mary drank our beers!  
Teresa, Vern, Happy Mary (aka My Guardian Angel)



Walking to the restaurant for snacks so that I was functional enough to drive home. Like my new pants!?!


 About 7 pm I was finally recovered enough to have a celebratory glass of wine.  And about 7:30 our humongous chicken was finally perfectly roasted so we feasted on a delicious dinner!                                                                                
Ithaca FFA chicken for dinner! Thanks Mird and boys:)



Finish Line Photos!  
Grand Rapids Marathon October 15, 2023

PR for Teresa that girl is on fire!! Thanks for talking me into this race. Even though it was a rough one, and I wasn't able to run as much of it with you as I would have liked, I did finish it and I am feeling very blessed to share this experience with you!  Keep running strong, girl!

PS Mary you truly were my guardian angel today.  Thanks for caring for me, keeping me distracted with your stories, dressing me post race, and taking the time to show up!  It means the world to me.

PPS Anah and Don thanks for taking the time to come and cheer at the finish. I am certain you had to stand out there a lot longer than you planned on so thanks for the commitment to powering me to the finish. Oh and thanks for making it to see me look like hot garbage!  

Oh yeah, about the title Lucky Number 5--his was my 5th official marathon finish. I have run a few others as a bandit, or occasionally I might just keep running the whole marathon when I am the first leg of a relay, or sometimes when there's a pandemic I just make up a marathon and run it.  So if you count those instances, this was number 8!

Vern Out



No comments:

Post a Comment