Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Kirby's Angels Two or too



Whether we were Kirby's Angels Too or Kirby's Angels Two it matters not.  What's important is that we really tore it up at the 2018 Frostbite Marathon Relay because we've got a reputation to uphold people!


Yes, Kirby's Angels made a strong showing once again at the Frostbite Marathon Relay in Holland last weekend. We definitely experienced back-to-back relays of awesomeness!  To kick things up a notch this year, we created two teams so we could be twice as awesome as last year. Oh and so we could use our clever double entendre! I think we were successful, but read this and decide for yourself!


First things first...This year the weather was actually frostbite worthy which I think was a good thing....I will let you know for sure once my hands thaw out and my lips aren't blue! In contrast, last year race day temperatures were in the mid forties and there was no snow whatsoever.  A year ago, I actually ran in a tank top and shorts! This year, it was cold, Cold, COLD!! Officially I think the starting temperature was nine degrees!  Oh and it decided to snow heavily  which further enhanced the frostbite experience. At one point, my eyelashes literally froze together and I was immediately transformed to the scene in Christmas Vacation where the mom, Ellen, says, "she'll see it later honey, her eyes are froze". Well, I found myself laughing right out loud while prancing along through the snow covered winter wonderland.  It was rather glorious despite all the snow!  


Demonstrating how to wear ski mittens properly whilst running! 
Do not try this at home.

Now about the two teams because it was somewhat tricky business.  Going into Frostbite we had the same five people from last year ready to rumble. I mean, 2017 was so much fun how could any of us not repeat?!?  But we also had a few friends who really wanted to join a team and I am nothing if not inclusive so I had to figure something out.  After some geometrically complicated algorithms were performed (by someone other than me so they were actually accurate) we determined that a 5 person and a 2 person team would be the best solution to our extra runner conundrum. Kirby's Angels Two (or too) was born!  Both teams ran the marathon distance a total of 26.2 miles. A few days later, Ian wanted to join our team which really screwed up our fancy algorithm, but we went ahead and allowed him to be our alternate... just in case.  This ended up being a very good thing because an Angel's kids had the stomach flu on race day and she was, of course, home caring for them.  

 Kirby's Angels

Kirby's Angels Two (or too) get it?!

One thing I love best about running is construction sites. Call me crazy, but during my running career I have used more outhouses in active construction zones than I can count and today was no exception. I was once again rescued by a new home, construction zone, port-a-john. So here's something I never thought I'd say, "that port-a-jon is totally my HERO!" I was not only freezing, but I had also needed to pee for about two miles and I still had at least 7 miles to go when I saw a construction zone. Hopeful, I performed a quick visual of the site, and located a port-a-jon!!!  It was the perfect pit stop for a quick pee break; Well not actually quick because some lady was in there taking her own sweet time (who does that during a race?!), but whatevs I had to pee really badly and I had already detoured off course... so I waited... impatiently!  As a result, for a short time Mird, was actually beating me!?!. If there is one thing my ego can't handle, it's getting beat by my little sister! She already gets to be 6 years younger than me (she hasn't even had to turn the big 4-0 yet!), I can't really handle her being faster than me too!

The rest of the race was fairly uneventful, or at least I don't remember the details of it. It's possible my brain was frozen, or that I am getting old and forgetful, I dunno.  But I do know I passed Mird awhile later and dodged that bullet. Also,  I made it to the transition in about 2 hours even which all things considered was A-W-E-S-O-M-E!  

After enduring some serious frostbite conditions and having their own personal grand adventures along the way, all of Kirby's Angels (from both teams) finished upright and in excellent spirits. By 12:15 we were together snacking, drinking our "free-ish" beers and celebrating another great running event!

Oh I almost forgot, some of the best parts of the entire experience happened on Frostbite Marathon Eve at Amy's house.  We had our traditional team dinner which was mostly just an excuse to get together to laugh, carb load and get motivated to run in the frigid cold the following morning!  We also had some logistics to discuss like who was running when  and where we needed to be in order to run our respective legs. You know minor details like that!  We dined on pasta, bread and salad. For a night cap, we sipped on incredible home-made Irish cream and indulged on a slice of oatmeal pie that was out -of-this-world amazing and delicious.  If you want to get your very own out-of-this-world amazing pie (or other baked goods) go to  thecakeflour.  I promise, you will be glad you tried it!


Sunday morning we quickly dressed, packed our energy balls, pudding shots and an impressive  smorgasbord of snacks into the Vern Van (VV) and hit the road.  The last thing we wanted was to be late for the start, or miss the baton competition and the super fun announcements from Alan Martens. Race Director Extraordinaire, Alan Martens, could probably make it as a stand up comedian if his day job doesn't work out because he makes race announcements a whole lotta funny. We thank him for his dedication to this frosty adventure!

Possibly because we packed up so quickly, or maybe because it was so early and I had stayed up so very late giggling with Mird, I'm not sure. But whatever it was, I forgot all of my extra stuff when we left Amy's house Sunday morning (music, gu packets, my Garmin watch and a few other items that generally accompany me on my running adventures). Even this mattered not.  In the end everything was just as it should be-awesome. God sure is good. I am so thankful He's got my back!

And because the Grand Haven Run Club (GHRC) is indirectly responsible for Kirby's Angels existence, here's a picture of the whole dang club! Oh my how we've grown! I say "indirectly" because the GHRC got me hooked on running back in 2010 when there were roughly 20 people in the club and I was one of few women. I have since motivated a lot of people to join me on crazy awesome running adventures.  The Frostbite Marathon Relay is just the most recent example of my influencing powers...bahaha! 

 
Grand Haven Run Club Frostbite Marathon 2018



PS  I do fully expect Mird to beat me at some point in time, but I hope we will be racing in the old folks home by then! 


Vern Out


No comments:

Post a Comment