Friday, April 20, 2018

The snob

Most people would not describe me as a snob.  I am though.  I'm a total snob. I am The Snob....


A running snob that is! It kind of snuck up on me too, completely unexpectedly.  Over the years I got over confident. I became proud and bragged about being able to run any time, any where, any distance.  I even developed somewhat of a reputation for this.  And I got picky. Picky about which races I would run.  Distance. Terrain.  Location.  I was selective. I was fussy. Perhaps even persnickity.  And the Adventure Level was the most critically important factor. The more adventurous and outrageous the run, the better it was in my eyes.  Then all of a sudden I realized, I am a total running snob. The realization came to be during the March Madness 5K St Patty's Day run (the previous blog post which if you haven't read it you really must!) and I have been ruminating on this realization ever since.  The worst part about this is, I am realizing this amidst my first real running injury. Life is working to humble me-the running snob and it totally sucks. The one truth I have come to realize is this:

and trust me, I have been going on plenty of "bad runs" lately so I am becoming somewhat of an expert on this.

For over a month now I have been dealing with sciatica.  While my heart says, "go on the long runs" and "head out on the rugged and wild trails"my legs and back say, "take it easy, if you want to go running at all".  To say I am SIGNIFICANTLY frustrated would be a serious understatement. I decided to research the definition of frustrated just to make sure it was an accurate description of my situation...

Frustrated (according to google)  to cause (someone) to feel upset or annoyed, typically as a result of being unable to change or achieve something.


Well, I hit the nail on the head with the "frustrated" word selection! I am definitely frustrated with my body, with my situation, with my current place in life. And I am definitely unable to change it which is preventing me from achieve my 2018 running goals.


My husband is a non-empathetic person with really anything, but especially when running is involved which further complicates things.  If I try to talk with him about my frustrated feelings regarding this injury, I feel like he is something like this...
 mocking me along the way...



which makes me feel like saying this....



But I realize that this is also true...

so I continue on running when I can, stretching when I can't and frustrated as hell (and praying that I get back to my normal running routine soon), but knowing this is exactly where God wants me to be.

PS special thanks to all my running buddies for your support and for listening to me vent my frustrations.  I appreciate you all SO MUCH!

Humbly Yours, Vern-the former running snob 




3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thanks Michele for all your support and for the many miles together!

      Delete
  2. Hang in there girl! It will get better and you will be back to awesomeness on trails in no time ����‍♀️

    ReplyDelete